purity of our ingredients and the spirit we endorse
in producing our incense are equally important.
The work begins with the inspection of the
ingredients. Because we work with elements from
nature, understanding the quality and the
characteristics of the ingredients is essential.
Even the same grade of a bushel of an herb will emit
a delicately different fragrance from another. From
lot to lot, our master blenders work very hard to
make subtle adjustments to retain the consistent
fragrance of a particular incense. They consider the
process to be an artistic endeavor rather than mere
"production". Human sensitivity is highly-valued for
Shoyeido's incense making.
" Ten Virtues of Koh"
These virtues were compiled in
the sixteenth century, and continue to capture the
spirit of Koh (incense) appreciation.
1. It brings communication with the transcendent.
2. It refreshes mind and body
3. It removes impurity.
4. It brings alertness
5. It is a companion in solitude
6. In the midst of busy affairs, its brings a moment
7. When it is plentiful, one never tires of
8. When there is little, still one is satisfied.
9. Age does not change its efficacy.
10. Used everyday, it does no harm.